Re: Reparations for Injured Workers

This forum can be viewed but not be posted to. Visit our new one here.

[ Follow Ups ] [ injuredworker Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on October 28, 1999 at 23:53:29:

In Reply to: Re: Reparations for Injured Workers posted by tribalance on October 28, 1999 at 11:57:58:

I totally agree with your posting, The workmans comp system was intended as a compromise
But it is no longer a compromising system. The current system in Oregon is lopsided due to
Exclusive Remedy. I agree with you that there are no easy answers.
An expedient solution will satisfy only a few. This system needs long term solutions not bandaids.

I don't have the answers, I see and hear what I see and hear and it is up to me to disern between
the two. The current business lobby has alot at stake in Workmans Comp and they will fight to
protect their interest's. Worker Comp carriers have enjoyed their profits over the last ten years
and if they see these profits starting to dwindle they will fight to protect it. Our Governor after admitting
that Injured Workers have lost their benefits will have his job cut out for him. The attorney lawmakers
that have worked hard are worried that their work will be swept away, These people will not like seeing there
work wiped out and they will fight the governor about any proposed changes to the current system.
Employers will worry because for the past ten years they have been protected by Exclusive Remedy and they will fear
any positive changes.

The governor by admitting that injured workers have lost benefits due to the reforms has opended a "Pandoras Box"
It will be interesting what comes out of that box, We haven't seen anything yet!

You are right that the state government needs to re-think what people are brought in to discuss this issue.
The governor needs to appoint an Injured Worker to the MLAC committee that has been a goal of this Organization
from the start, Personally I don't see it happening, An Injured worker would need experience in the way that the
political structure works and if that person dosen't have that experience the management side of MLAC would eat that
person alive, Don't get me wrong, I would be the first person to jump up and down if an Injured workers was
appointed to MLAC but I don't see it happening any time soon.

You made some very good points in your post, And I am sorry that you have been injured and I am also sorry about assuming
that you haven't experienced this system, this issue brings out alot of bad feelings in people including me. And that is why
the folks that contribute to this forum are emotional about workmans comp. At this point in time Injured Workers stand alone
with no recourse for their injuries. We need to change that!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ injuredworker Message Board ] [ FAQ ]