Proposals for ergonomic rules

This forum can be viewed but not be posted to. Visit our new one here.

[ Follow Ups ] [ injuredworker Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Maier on November 23, 1999 at 08:10:11:

Hi all. As most of you know, Fed OSHA announced that it is finally able to propose national standards for ergonomic rules. While I don't have a link to the Oregonian's article on this, the rules as described will be favorable to workers and injured workers. The corporate lobby wants to kill these rules.

I just received a post from another member of the Committee to Protect Injured Workers. Our own OR-OSHA will also propose rules, which by law will have to be at least as strong as Fed OSHA's. First, OR-OSHA will gather comments on the Fed's proposal. I will let you know more details as they become available. For now, circle Jan6,2000 on your calendar as a day for a trip to Salem. The message:

Hello everyone,
There will be an OR-OSHA stakeholder meeting on the newly proposed federalbergonomic standard on January 5 at 10:00 AM in the Labor and Industries Building in Salem. The proposed rule is intended to prevent musculoskeletal injuries. The stakeholder meetings on ergonomics have been dominated by business interests. There is typically about a six to one or worse ratio of
business people to labor representatives at these meetings. The meetings are open to the public.

The next meeting is likely to revolve around a response to the federal proposed rule. If we don't get a lot of our people there, I would expect
the stakeholder group to send federal OSHA a negative response to the proposed federal rule. We need that rule.

I think we can block a negative response to the rule from the stakeholder group just by getting enough of our people--at least forty, but preferably fifty to seventy-five or more to come to the meeting. The meetings so far have only lasted about an hour or an hour and a half; this one could go longer, but I doubt it will go longer than two hours. If we get enough people there, maybe we can send federal OSHA a supportive response!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ injuredworker Message Board ] [ FAQ ]