waiting fo letter of closure?

Post questions and answers, and discuss issues relating to workers' compensation and healthcare in general.

Moderator: Webmaster

waiting fo letter of closure?

Postby jenroy » April 15th, 2008, 12:15 am

i was injured on job and had to have surgery on my arm. I hae returned to work with restrictions. i have also taken a functional work capacity test. i have lost range of motion, cannot grasp very good and have significant loss of strengnth. was told doc has all paper work and will send to wc who will then contact me to explain things. when claim is closed do they offer you a settlement for the injury or is it for impairments that are a result of the injury. i am confused as to what the settlement should be for since i am now back at work even with my limitaions.also since i belive ny limitations are permenant should i be worried about my job once the claim has been settled. i don't know of anything i can do with out the full use of both arms.
jenroy

Re: waiting fo letter of closure?

Postby yourbestfriend » August 21st, 2009, 8:11 pm

jenroy wrote:i was injured on job and had to have surgery on my arm. I hae returned to work with restrictions. i have also taken a functional work capacity test. i have lost range of motion, cannot grasp very good and have significant loss of strengnth. was told doc has all paper work and will send to wc who will then contact me to explain things. when claim is closed do they offer you a settlement for the injury or is it for impairments that are a result of the injury. i am confused as to what the settlement should be for since i am now back at work even with my limitaions.also since i belive ny limitations are permenant should i be worried about my job once the claim has been settled. i don't know of anything i can do with out the full use of both arms.

The insurer must ask your doctor if he or she agrees with the findings of the work capacity evaluation before the claim can be closed so be patient since it make take several weeks. If the doctor agrees with the findings, they will be used to rate your permanent impairment. This is not a settlement, but compensation for the loss of use of your injured body parts. When the claim closes, your employer has the opportunity to accommodate your permanent work restrictions. If they are unable to provide modified work on a permanent basis, you will be evaluated for vocational retraining. Retraining is quite expensive so your employer has significant incentive to provide permanent modified work. You will likely be eligible for preferred worker benefits and should explore this program on the Workers' Compensation Division's website. Good luck!
yourbestfriend

Return to Main Injured Workers' Forum