Claim denial issues

Post questions and answers, and discuss issues relating to workers' compensation and healthcare in general.

Moderator: Webmaster

Claim denial issues

Postby backlash » February 1st, 2007, 4:23 pm

My claim was closed 2 months after my back injury. I attained a lawyer to appeal its closure. The lawyer fired off an appeal, and it was in review. It was later denied. I continued to be mistreated my medical doctors who refused to acknowledge the state of my physical condition. My lawyer at first appeared to be interested in how I was being treated, then ignored my calls and case after the board decided not to re-open it to include the lumbar injury. Several doctors had given my the runaround and denied me appropriate care, even though the MRIs showed bulging discs, a lumbar tear, and I continue to experience an increase in pain and nerve complications. Shortly after the appeal was denied, I received a letter stating that the accepted injury(cervical and thoracic strain) was categorized as a partial-permanant disablility. This letter informed me that the insurance company was responsible for medical bills and in awarding me about $1,700, without an IME nor having to go to court. It also noted that they were responsible for any legal fees if they were considered approriate. A month later, I receive a $1,200 check, and still no word from my lawyer.

Is it the insurance company still financially responsible for future medical treatments relating to my injuries?
Could the remaining $500 have been applied to my lawyer's fees without me knowing?
Even if I didn't sign any paperwork, but did cash the $1,200 check, have I inadvertantly signed away my rights to this injury claim?
Do I still have legal right to pursue this matter with another attorney, and have the insurance carrier pay for it?

Please Help!
backlash

Who to contact

Postby Webmaster » February 1st, 2007, 6:49 pm

If this is an Oregon claim, you should contact the Ombudsman for Injured Workers ASAP. Since they have your records, they're better equiped to answer your questions and advise you on what, if any, options exist.

If your claim is elsewhere, visit the state's workers' comp site. Most states have a similar office.

Ombudsman for Injured Workers
Open: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
oiw.questions@state.or.us
Phone: 800-927-1271 (toll-free)
Phone: 503-378-3351 (from Salem area)

http://egov.oregon.gov/DCBS/OIW/index.shtml
Webmaster
Site Admin

Ombudsman

Postby backlash » February 5th, 2007, 12:26 pm

not of any legitimate help. They work for the system. Sometimes I get to speak with one who gives me real advice, brings me hope. Others evade giving any info at all and are really nosy.

Any other options? :cry:
backlash

Ombudsman

Postby Webmaster » February 7th, 2007, 1:22 pm

The Ombudsman has your records and can best understand your case and options. Your only alternative is to contact numerous Oregon workers' comp. attorneys to find one (or better two for comparison) willing to provide free advice.
Webmaster
Site Admin

Return to Main Injured Workers' Forum