Disclosure of health and work history for new claim, HELP!!!

Post questions and answers, and discuss issues relating to workers' compensation and healthcare in general.

Moderator: Webmaster

Disclosure of health and work history for new claim, HELP!!!

Postby Harriet » July 31st, 2007, 12:47 am

Please tell me how much personal information the workman's comp claim people can require.
It is clear that my injury is resulting from a job related incident, and the Claims Adjuster has stated that to me (a mentally ill client assaulted me at work with several witnesses). To date, I have received one check for time away from work.
My question is with regard to a rather extensive questionnaire I have received from the Claims Adjuster.
The cover letter states that the claim is in "deferred status" and is being reviewed. They ask me to complete a lengthy form that they have enclosed, which asks for personal information such as; my work history over the past decade with specific contact info, etc, and extensive and invasive health history questions.
What are my rights and must I complete this form???
THANK YOU
Harriet

Insurer wants intrusive information

Postby Webmaster » July 31st, 2007, 3:55 pm

You don't say the state you were injured in. Although IWA is Oregon-based, postings come from elsewhere.

If an Oregon injury, call the Ombudsman for Injured Workers at 800-927-1271. More info is at http://egov.oregon.gov/DCBS/OIW/index.shtml. Unlike us, they'll know the details of your case.

If the insurer is asking for financial information, such as assets, investment income, total family income, bank account balances, etc., you don't have to and must never provide it.

They ask for this to see how vulnerable you are. Starve-out is shutting you down financially and medically. They want this info to determine how long you can survive with no time-loss reinbursement and whether you're capable of paying for medical care when they refuse. Sometimes they'll allow treatment but never pay your doctor so the doctor will drop you.

If you're barely making it or have large debts they're more likely to close your claim, drag out everything, even for years, and simply disobey what few worker protections there are.

Good luck.
Webmaster
Site Admin

Postby hurtedbad » February 24th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Your rights were basically history once you filed a workers comp claim. I don't know how far back they can legally look, but in my case, they copied my doctor's complete file (all 21 years that I've been seeing them) and they go over it with a fine tooth comb.
hurtedbad

Return to Main Injured Workers' Forum