Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp

Author Subject: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp
Marie Posted At 18:06:48 12/30/2000
If anyone out there works for the Federal Govt., and is on workman's comp, please advise. My situation is that I have been employed with this agency for almost 18 years, a total of almost 20 with the govt. Got hurt at the acacademy during the p/t and self defense classes. I did not report it there at the school as most of the soreness would go away until the next pt, after several motrin. Upon return to my regular station, I worked for approximately 3 months, (the training was 12weeks long and I was there since 2.26.00 and worked till 8-17-00, used my sick leave, then my annual leave (vacation time) for the following two months, then went on leave without pay. I filed a workman's comp. claim with Dept. of Labor and they accepted my claim and are paying for the medical expenses only. Now that I need an epidural injection, they are requesting a second opinion and I was told by my examiner that it is to see if this injury is indeed stopping me from going to work. The doctor that I am seeing has taken me off work for three months. But still, this lady insists that the injury is not the reason I can't go to work, but is using the moderate degenerative disc disease problem, and not the cervical sprain and strain, cervical radiculitis and 2 mm left focal paracentral disc protrusion. Basically, she stated that this is due to old age. I am 47. I need help from someone out there. Thank you all.
You need a second opinion Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 18:30:01 12/30/2000

Marie, I am not a federal worker, but your injury sounds similar to mine. I was completely healthy and had my injury, and my first doctor was careless and unthrough. I became frustrated and sought out a second opinion, thank heavens I did, because the kind of injury I have isn't from degenerative disease. Boy they sure tried to say it was, even though I had absolutely no problems before hand.

You are entitled to I believe 2 second opinions, you need to check and make sure though. What state do you live in? You can call an ombudsman with the state and find out, they may have someone federally too. And maybe think about getting a lawyer or at least talking to one to head you in the right direction.

I have been to a few "Yes Doctors" and they are for the system, so it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion. And when you go, let him examine you first and then tell him about your first doctor if you so choose, remember if you want to change doctors permanently you need to sign a paper with the first doctors office, but that is down the road. I will tell you though your primary doctor has the most pull so choose wisely. Because they will depend on your first one to discredit the second one. So be sure to make the second one your primary care doctor.
I hope this helps but a lawyer will definately shed some light on a dark tunnel, and you won't be facing this alone. Lawyers usually give a initial consultation, and at least tell you where you stand. And if you do end up needing him you usually don't have to pay until your case is settled.
I hope this helped, go back and read some of the things on this board to get more info, most of us are here to help you avoid some of the things that we have gone through. Good Luck!
Marie Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:03:50 12/30/2000

Currently trying to find a lawyer in Southern California, Riverside, Ontario or close by,that is expierenced in Federal Labor Law. It seems that most attorney's only work state labor law. It has been very difficult. Thank you for your advise. I read some of the other notices posted here and it looks like I should have been given a list of three doctors to pick from, but Dept. of Labor just sent me a letter today listing the appointment, name of the doctor and time. So, I don't know if they would let me have another 2nd opinion. I am new to all this and don't even understand their mentality. The day before, I received a letter saying they assigned a nurse to me. She will be here to conduct her interview on tues. Thanks again for your help.
P.Wimp Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:06:51 12/30/2000

I have had this similar problem....Had the epidural injuection at 3 levels in my neck...I finlaay ended up with a radical cervical fusion with bone grafting and plating....The insurance company also told me this was not my problem...Too many doctors say different....Getting to the point...Degenerative disk disease can happen to anyone....Even to an 8 year old that has had an injury...Degenerative does mean old, but not like in old people...It simply states that the injury is creating calcium deposits, ask any one in the medical field, just not an IME doctor....
Or research it for your self on the web....
Marie Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 21:17:31 12/30/2000

P.Wimp,

Thank you, I never thought of that. I do have calcium deposits and did not know that the injury is creating them. All this info is very helpful to me. Thank you..
Marie Antoinette
Debra Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:29:59 03/01/2001

Which Senate and House committees have jurisdiction over the Department of Labor, Workman's Comp Issues?
Janet copy of letter sent to Congressman can anyone give me advice (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 10:22:53 04/05/2001

Hi, I believe I wrote you about 5 months ago re: my workmans comp case and I thank you for your help. Now I have a bigger problem. I was approved for Workmans Comp last fall due to a job injury with Dept of Defense. Since that time I have been in lots of pain and Dept of Labor supported me i.e. mylograms, epidural shots, therapy, tens unit pain pills etc. Now my dr is ready to perform surgery (laminectomy) on me and needed approval from workmans comp. They denied it saying it was preexisting which is not true at all. It is related to my injury which my dr says it is from. I have two discs L3/4 L4/5 protruding discs that have been pressing on nerve which causes severe pain and he wants to correct it so I can get back to work. I cannot believe workmans comp denied it and supported me up until now. My dr will rebuttal this, but may use health ins if I can to get the under way. My case number is A25566919 and my Case manager is Mrs. Walker at 202-565-9770. Also DOL nurse helping me is Mrs. Susan Joyce and you can reach her at 703-764-3723. I am sitting here in lots of pain waiting on this surgery. Can they actually do this to me. I hope you can help me in any way you can. DOL wants to put me through this all over with another dr and I refuse to do that. I don't need a second opinion. Can you refer me to a lawyer who supports this type of thing. I really hate going that route, but do not know what else to do.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Janet Leaman
301-292-5052
RONA ROCK Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:45:38 05/12/2001

BRIEF SUMMARY
HEAD AND NECK INJURY IN 1979 WORK RELATED.. WORKMANS COMP SETTLEMENT IN 1983..TO RECIEVE WORKMANS COMP FOR LIFE AS WELL AS MEDICAL ON ANY AND ALL RELATED INJURYS.. WELL JUST AS RESENT AS 2 WEEKS AGO ..WORKMANS COMP IS TRYING TO SAY THAT HIS BACK PROBLEM IS NOT RELATED TO THE HEAD NECK INJURY,,EVEN THOUGH HE HAS BEEN TREATED FOR GRAN MALL SEIZURS IN THE PAST THAT INJURED HIS BACK DUE TO THE BRAIN INJURY...IS THERE NO END.. MANY TIMES HE HAS BEEN TURNED DOWN FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT THAT HE NEEDED BECAUSE W/C WOULD CALL AN TELL THE DR THAT HE WAS NOT COVERED... OR THEY WOULD BE SO SLOW IN PAYING FOR PRESCRIPTIONS THAT THE PHARMACY WOULD CUT HIM OFF..AND THEN HE COULDNT GET HIS MEDICATION... CAN I REOPEN THIS CASE.. ITS SO OLD...BUT ALSO THE MEDICAL EVIDENCE IS WAY OUT DATED AND INCORRECT AS COMPARED TO THE PRESENT DATE..HE HAS BEEN ACCUSED IN THE PAST OF FAKING..OF BEING A DRUG ABUSER.. OF ALREADY BEING MENTALLY ILL... WHICH ARE ALL LIES..EVEN AS RECENT AS THE LAST TWO WEEKS ON W/C PERSON CALLED ON OF HIS DR'S AND SAID NO WE DO NOT COVER THAT .. HE WAS MENTALLY ILL BEFORE THE ACCIDENT... AND THAT IS NOT TRUE AT ALL..THANK HEAVENS THE DR'S WIFE THAT THE W/C PERSON TALKED TO... DIDNT HAVE A GREAT RESPECT FOR THE SYSTEM AND SHE HAS BEEN HELPING US ...BUT I NEED ADVICE... CAN WE RE SUE.. CAN WE DO ANYTHING TO UPDATE THE REAL PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH HIS TYPE OF BRAIN INJURY... IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE
Kim Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 1 replies)
Posted At 12:19:44 05/26/2001

http://www.fecaattorney.com/
William Hildebrandt Re: Need advice on Federal WorkMans Comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:20:58 06/26/2001

You sound like me. I am a federal employee and have been one for 13 years.When I first started I worked on a heavy Nursing Home Care Unit. The 5 years of lifting, tugging and ect. Then I transfered to a surgical unit for 6 1/2 years, where there was more lifting, tugging and ect. We were also always working short of staff. At times we were made to work mandatory overtime due to the lack of staff. Several times we would work in acess of 60hrs a week. Last November I transferred to the psych ward. The workload is more mental and less physical(no real lifting and ect). This april, I was cleaning up our dayroom to get ready for enviromental rounds. I was told to straighten the chairs and put them back under the table and against the wall. As I was moving a chair I felt this sudden, excrutiating pain that went from my lower back, down my legs, and around to my left side. I couldn't stand up. Anyway I figured if I sat for a minute I would feel better. After about 15 minutes and 2 motrin I was still in pain. My supervisor told me to go to the Emergency Room. Two employees had to help me out to a car so one could drive me to the ER. To make a long story short, I have filed for workman's comp. I have been through X-rays, MRI's, Physical Thearapy, Drs. and ect. When I went to the Dr I told them it was work related, They took a copy of my health insurance
anyway. They billed my health insurance. When I called the Dept of Labor they said if my case is approved I would be reimbursed. Meanwhile my COP time has run out, they exhausted all my AL/SL, I am on LWOP status. Then I found out last week that there was a mistake and I had 1 week of COP time. I thought that was good, because my rent was due. It turns out I got a check alright, for $4.35. Four whole dollars!!! I called and they still haven't determined anything. The lady that is handling my case is never in her office. I get the good ole run around to people who don't know anything (so they say). Finally I talked to a guy that said he was under the lady handling my case and he was going to get something done. I am pending a mylogram(DR. said I need that before I can go back to work so they can decide if I need surgery). The guy at the Dept of Labor told me it was authorized last wednesday. I called the Dr office to confirm time and date. They told me to call back friday. When I called friday, they said a lady from the dep of labor called and said it was not authorized. When I called them they stated that they needed more info (I have sent every document I had, several times), what more I asked. Then I got the excuse that I gave them the wrong address, they had gotten an address that I lived at 13 yrs ago. I called my personel office and they confirmed that my address has been changed for 5 yrs in their system and didn't know how they got the wrong address. So now I am waiting. Then when I talked to someone yesterday June 25, the lady said can't you go back to work on limited duty. My Dr. are saying if I go back before having these test it will be against medical advice. My supervisor is telling me that they are on her case. They workman comp lady at my Dr office says if I go back, then I will be responsible for all the bills. I don't know what to do. And yesterday I got a letter from my home office telling me I had sufficient time to heal and I need to come back on light duty. Can anyone help me out? I was diagnosed with 2 bulging disc that are pressing on nerves and degenerated disc disease. Yesterday The lady from the Dept. of Labor said that my degenerated disc disease was probably an existing problem. So I don't know if they are goin to approve it or not. Even though the physician both at work and my private physician deemed it work related. How can they deny it when I had employees who saw it, and my supervisor wrote it up, my physician wrote it up, and the physician at work wrote it up as a work related accident. Why does the Dept of Labor make me feel like the bad guy? I didn't go into work and think, Oh I think I will hurt myself today. What can I do, help me please. I tried being honest and doing what they tell me. I don't prctice to be deceitful, but freinds tell me to hire a lawyer. That sad when you give 13 yrs of your life, always there when needed and then when you need them they leave you, blame you, and tell you that they don't care. Make me feel like a bad guy. I am sorry that I ever got hurt.

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]