What happens when they say you are at MMI

Author Subject: What happens when they say you are at MMI
LOST in the system Posted At 08:37:10 01/19/2001
Hello all I have a question. I have been off work for 11 months due to an injury to my arm. I have been in physical therapy 11 months and can not drive. The doctor has ordered a turn knob for my steering wheel. Last week my work comp doctor who I have only seen twice in the last month deems me at max med improvement. He tells me this is as good as it is going to get. Tells me I will prob. not be able to go back to my old job and find a new one. Shocked I leave his office. Yesterday my boss calls me and tells me the company is trying to make a position available to me and bring me back to work. So here is my questions -- What happens if I know that I am not able to do my old job and tell them I can not come back to work for them? What happens if I go back to work and can't perform and they fire me? What happens if I go back to work and get hurt or get worse? By accepting their offer to return to work "knowing that I have some major medical problems from my injury" and I was released from the doctor because he whored out his degree to the insurance company what next? What does this day about me? Does it say there is nothing wrong with me? What should I do? I take 17 pills a day and am in constant pain from my injury. I can not drive and have not drove in 11 months an am waiting for work comp to agree to pain for the turn knob and training that goes along with it. I am a sales person who drives all day long....
Get a Lawyer Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:28:07 01/19/2001

I'm not sure what state you live in but I know in Oregon, I believe you have to except a modified position if your company makes it for you, but be careful not to go against your work restrictions. If you do it can let them off the hook. I was reading some of the statues, and that one was in there. You have to take what they offer you, if you are not able to do it then, speak up, just don't go against your restrictions.
I would get a lawyer, I believe that you are almost Medically Stationary, which is nothing more medically can be done for you, and that is when the rules change. Get the advice of a attorney ASAP, even if it is just a consultation, a work comp. attorney though. It is a way of protecting yourself, in case you can't do the job. I'm pretty sure I'm right having gone through it myself, but maybe some others on the BB can help too. I do believe you are entitled to 2 other medical opinions, also, so maybe your lawyer can find a good doctor to get a second opinion. Good Luck!!!
Get a Lawyer Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:29:39 01/19/2001

I'm not sure what state you live in but I know in Oregon, I believe you have to except a modified position if your company makes it for you, but be careful not to go against your work restrictions. If you do it can let them off the hook. I was reading some of the statues, and that one was in there. You have to take what they offer you, if you are not able to do it then, speak up, just don't go against your restrictions.
I would get a lawyer, I believe that you are almost Medically Stationary, which is nothing more medically can be done for you, and that is when the rules change. Get the advice of a attorney ASAP, even if it is just a consultation, a work comp. attorney though. It is a way of protecting yourself, in case you can't do the job. I'm pretty sure I'm right having gone through it myself, but maybe some others on the BB can help too. I do believe you are entitled to 2 other medical opinions, also, so maybe your lawyer can find a good doctor to get a second opinion. Good Luck!!!
Chicken Wing Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 10:02:03 01/19/2001

http://www.medmedia.com/med.htm

copy and paste the link click go. Can you describe your injury? There are arm injury's that take years to get better, nerve damage, misalignment of bones.
Lost Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:16:57 01/19/2001

Thanks for posting, I am new at using this forum and did not think my question went the first time...sorry all. My left wrist and elbow was bitten by a dog. I am a outside sales person. It tore the tendons up pretty bad. Then to top matters off I developed RSD, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. My left arm is very very painful, and I can only lift .7 of a pound. The weight restriction was 20 pds. also, no over head work and no gripping. I am to get a knob on my steering wheel as soon as work comp agrees to pay for it. But the worst part is mentally I am messed up by the medication and don't think straight. I have an atty. who has been very little help thru this process. I do have a family doctor that understands the problems of RSD and is very kind to me. If I do get worse or feel I can not do the job will he be enough to take me off the job? The doctor said he was going to do an impairment rating to send to wc ins co. If they have not setteled with me on the origional accident will this still be part of the claim? What happens if they don't agree to pain for the evaluation and training involved with the steering knob, and work tells me to report first thing Monday morning? If I can not drive yet with out the knob, what then?
Not sure Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:37:51 01/19/2001

Your doctor can make you not fit for work, and or rate you at light duty, you can have your doctor take alook at the job they want you to do and see if he thinks you can do it. He can also write out a form stating what you are able to do as far as your work position goes, your work can give him a description of the job your going to do and he can reply to it.
Have you talked to your lawyer about them putting you back to work? And that you might not be ready? I would call him and talk to him and maybe he can get together with your doctor first. I know that is what happened to me, and then I couldn't perform the job and they were unable to find a position for me and didn't want to create one. So be sure and get both of them involved, because it is their expertise that you need right now.
Find out from your lawyer about the knob and returning to work without it and also not being able to drive, you are paying him not the reverse so keep him involved.
You have to have a doctors release to return to work, and without your stearing devise how can you drive to work. I would find out if my doctor is willing to release me without it. And on what terms he is willing to release you.
Dog Cop Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:05:48 01/19/2001

I am sorry to hear about your injury, it sounds really serious. I am also an injured worker being raked over the coals by the system. But I am also an animal control officer. Have you went after the dog owner for damages? Dog owners are responsible for all medical bills and pain/suffering. If your lawyer hasn't sued the socks off of them yet, get another one. Dog Bites are big business these days and I have testified in court on minor bites that would fund the college education of the young bite victim. Sounds like you have got one heck of a third party claim going for ya. By the way.......which county did this occur in? Hopefully not the county that I cover! Good luck with your injury and if you go back out on the road carry mace, it may save you from anohter bite!
Webmaster Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:48:30 01/20/2001

I have read some of the replys to your question, Thanks for helping this injured worker, But I do have a few things to point out.

First off, What state are you in, This will help in answering your questions.

Consider the fact that you may not be able to return to your old job, If your employer is going to create a new job for you, That is great news for you, Most injured workers are fired for getting hurt on the job because the company refuses to do right by them.

Get the information about your new job duties to your Doctor right away,
The doctor may be able to help determine if you can do this type of New Job. This is very Important!!!.

One persons reply was to hire an attorney, This may not be your best course of action at this time, If you live in Oregon,I urge you to call the Ombudsman for Injured workers at 1-800-927-1271.

Remember if you return to a new position with your employer, Stick to your restrictions and let your voice be heard ,if they try and push you into doing something you aren't able to do you may reinjury yourself, making matters worse.

E-mail me. Click the link next to this message
Lost Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:59:23 01/20/2001

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions I really appreciate all! Dog cop, yes I did go after the homeowners on this one but it has been 11 months and they are stalling to settle. The dog lives still to this day and it was a bad attack. I got my steering knob put on today but really am not sure I am going to be able to drive because of the pain the vibration of the vehicle causes. I kinda feel like they are pushing me against a wall. thaxs again for the responces
Tarzan Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 12:08:40 01/21/2001

I would expect the homeowners to have homeowners insurance.

I would also expect you have some nerve damage, which will take years to start getting better.

The Tarzan Way, if it hurts, it must be good therapy. So if it vibrates, grab it. If you can't lift it, lift it. Move it or loose it.

Compression, is good, Ice is good, heat to get it moving. I read about swelling under the ligaments, and tendons. Compression will help keep the swelling down. It may cut off your circulation, carpal tunnel maybe needed.

I know most disagree with me, and I know the insurance company finds it more compelling to have lost your range of motion, and to have obvious atrophy.

I only care what is best for me, and I'll share all I know.
Wheeless Text of Orthropeadics Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:01:37 01/21/2001

Main Menu Home Page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Radial Nerve:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- See:
- Posterior Interosseous Nerve Syndrome :
- Radial Nerve Palsy Associated w/ Humeral Shaft Frx:
- Radial Nerve Block
- Tendon Transfers for Radial Nerve Palsy:

- Anatomy:
- three posterior divsions of brachial plexus form posterior cord: (C5 , C6 , C7, C8, T1)
- radial nerve (C5, C6, C7 , C8 , and T1 ) is largest of & most frequently injured branch of both the posterior cord (as well as the brachial plexus);
- in axilla, it gives off:
- posterior cutaneous nerve of arm;
- branch to long & medial heads of triceps;
- between axilla & spiral groove of humerus:
- it distributes a branch to the lateral head of the triceps;
- nerve may or may not travel in spiral groove and is often separated by the humerus by 1 to 5 cm of muscle;

- course of nerve through the intermuscular septum;
- nerve travels from deep to the lateral head of the triceps, piercing the intermuscular septum;
- after piercing lateral intermuscular septum, the nerve comes to lie between the brachialis and brachioradialis, and
goes on to pass in front of elbow:
- radial nerve emanates from the spiral groove approximately 10 cm proximal to the lateral epicondyle;
- branch to brachioradialis & ECRL ;
- nerve remains anterior relative to the humerus, and passes along the lateral column of the distal humerus;
- each of motor branches, arising from radial nerve & passing to lateral head of triceps, is accompanied closely by a branch of profunda brachi artery and vein;
- as noted by Gerwin et al, the nerve crosses the posterior aspect of the humerus at 20-21 cm proximal to the medial epicondyle and 14-15 cm proximal to the lateral epicondyle;
- posterior interosseous nerve :
- it divides in front of radial head, w/ deep branch (PIN) passing backward thru supinator (arcade of Froshe) to supply 9 muscles on extensor aspect of forearm;
- because of the numerous branches into which the deep radial nerve breaks up at the lower border of the supinator, surgical repair of the nerve here is difficult;
- remaining part PIN, runs downward parallel to posterior interosseous artery to supply all of deeper lying extensor muscles & ends as a twig to wrist joint;
- in this course, it passes superficial to long abductor & EPB of thumb, but its terminal branch to wrist joint passes deep to EPL & EIP;
- Sensory Branch:
- superficial branch of radial nerve passes into forearm deep to brachioradialis muscle;
- approx 8 cm from tip of radial styloid, nerve emerges from under tendon of BR between tendon of BR & tendon of ECRL;
- sensory branch passes downward emerging dorsally from beneath BR tendon about 5 cm proximal to radial styloid;
- it lies just deep to the superficial veins;
- distally, it provides sensation to dorsum of thumb, excluding subungual region which is supplied by branches of median;
- superficial branch innervates dorsal aspect of first web space & hand as far ulnarward as middle of ring finger & as far distally as proximal interphalangeal joint.
- references:
The radial sensory nerve . An anatomic study.
The superficial branch of the radial nerve: an anatomic study with surgical implications.
Transfer of sensory branches of radial nerve in hand surgery.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Physcial Exam:
- signs of a radial nerve lesion include:
- inability to exten thumb, proximal phalanges, wrist or elbow;
- hand is pronated and the thumb adducted.
- termainal branches of superficial radial nerve are palpable in the anatomic snuff box where they cross EPL;
- paralysis of PIN will result in total loss of extension of fingers &, though rare occurrence, must be entertained in diff dx of extensor tendon rupture (w/ the R.A. pt):
- exam for brachial plexus injury:
- brachioradialis (C5-6)
- supinator (C5-C6)
- ECRB (C6-C7)
- triceps (C6-8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Radial Tunnel Compression Syndrome:
- compression of the radial nerve at the elbow can involve the PIN or the superficial branch;
- radial tunnel syndrome refers to the syndrome of forearm pain without muscular weakness;
- it is often misdiagnosed as resistant tennis elbow or PIN syndrome;
- unlike tennis elbow, there is tenderness about 4 cm distal to the lateral humeral epicondyle;
- sites of compression:
- fibrous bands anterior to the radial head at the entrance of radial tunnel;
- radial recurrent vessels;
- tendinous origin of ECRB
- tendinous proximal border of supinator (arcade of Frohse)
- this is the most common location of nerve compression in radial tunnel syndrome;
- distal edge of the supinator at exit;
- exam:
- look for tenderness over the radial tunnel;
- pain may be experienced when the long finger is extended against resistance;
- active supination from a pronated position (tightening supinator) along w/ wrist flexion (which tighens the ECRB) may reproduce the patient's symptoms;
- also consider differential injection of the deep radial nerve;
- treatment:
- as noted by Jebson and Engber et al 1997, about 2/3 patients with radial tunnel syndrome had good to excellent results, however, complete pain relief
and return to normal activities is not always predictable;
- treatment includes division of the fibrous edge of the supinator muscle (most common reason for impingement), and division of the medial border of the ECRB;
- reference:
- Radial nerve entrapment at the elbow: surgical anatomy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High radial nerve palsy following strenuous muscular activity. A case report.

Radial nerve paralysis and tumor.

Treatment of radial neuropathy associated with fractures of the humerus.

The results of secondary microsurgical repair of radial nerve in 33 patients. PK Kallio et al. J. Hand Surg. Vol 18-B. 1993. p 320-322.

Radial nerve palsy caused by open humeral shaft fractures.

Immediate radial nerve palsy complicating fracture of the shaft of the humerus: when is early exploration justified.

The surgical anatomy of the radial nerve around the humerus.

Radial nerve palsy caused by open humeral shaft fractures.

DEBBIE Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:29:55 03/05/2001

MMI means maximal medical improvement, the doctor said I was MMI also. He said that all of my diagnostic tests showed O, but I had a degeenerative spinal cord disease in my back, neck and I fell on a wet mopped floor hard enough to tear both shoulders w/cuff damage, my neck has 4 protruding discsw/impingment on the cord, concaved scoliosis, the doctor said he saw nothing wrong and I could go to any occupation any??F>T//NO/RESTRICTIONS?
Guess what he is wrong, he lied and collected $$$ for this which is filing a false claim, so guess what check out taxpayers against fraud/ whistleblowers,insurance fraud, if he lies, turn him in, also turn him in top the quality ccontrol board physicians&insurance frqaud department for physicinas lisence board, you will get results !! we have got to take a stand and make this stop, injured workers are not being protected, and we have rights just like anyone else!!!!!
trailboss Re: What happens when they say you are at MMI (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 14:12:35 03/10/2001

check with your state motor vehicle laws. that steering wheel knob is illegal in many states. also check with your motro vehicle insurance comoany. if this is illegal they may not cover you in the event of an accident.

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]