Discrimation against injured workers

Author Subject: Discrimation against injured workers
Del Posted At 12:12:07 02/25/2000
Albany Democrat-Herald

Teacher issues claim against S. Home, Lebanon districts

By GEORGE PETROCCIONE
Albany Democrat-Herald

SWEET HOME — An attorney for a Sweet Home woman has sent a notice of tort claim to both the Sweet Home and Lebanon school districts, claiming that his client’s reputation had been damaged.

Under Oregon law, governmental units can’t be sued for damages unless they are first served with a notice of a claim.

In a letter dated Nov. 5, Salem attorney William D. Stark charges that the Sweet Home School District had engaged in illegal retaliation, a conspiracy, official misconduct and intentional interference in an economic relationship of former Sweet Home special education teacher Judy Maniates. The letter also accuses the district of breach of contract.

According to Stark an agreement between the school district and Maniates over her leaving her position due to a disability was signed in December 1997.

The settlement was the result of workers’ compensation litigation filed by Maniates.

According to Stark, the agreement said that when potential employers inquired about Maniates, the district could only respond by giving her dates of employment, title, scope of duties, and wage at the time of separation.

Stark maintains that the district did not follow this procedure and made false and misleading statements about Maniates that resulted in her not being hired in Lebanon.

In a letter to the Lebanon School District, Stark contends that Maniates, who had been hired on a temporary basis, was terminated and denied a permanent position after school officials checked her references with Sweet Home.

Stark charges that she was fired because of her history of having a disability and the worker compensation claim against the Sweet Home School District. He accused the Lebanon district of retaliation and discrimination.

Sweet Home Superintendent William Hampton was unavailable for comment, but school board chairman Bob Pascalar said the district would probably turn any claim over to its insurance carrier.

Lebanon Superintendent James Robinson said he was unaware of the claim.

School board chairwoman Cory Koos said she received the letter, turned it over to Assistant Superintendent Steve Williams and believes the matter was turned over to the district’s attorney.

In both cases, Stark says if the matter is not settled otherwise, Maniates will sue both districts. Maniates could not be reached for comment.
We can't keep this up anymore Injured workers-something has to be done Re: Discrimation against injured workers (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 14:09:56 02/25/2000

How many more lives is the State of Oregon going to ruin before someone in
Salem actually does something. My God! How many more tragic stories like this
have to be said for the light to come back on.
As citizens when are we going to take back our state and make life worth living again.
When are these attitudes GOING TO STOP. That School district had no right
to tell another employer about her job related claim. This is Illegal.
But with the limited resourses that Injured workers have how can see prove this.
That is what these insurance companies are going on. It is very simple you lawmakers
in salem, If someone is injured at work and is denied their RIGHT TO COMPENSATION.
where are they going to get the money to fight for their rights!
FIGURE IT OUT. REMEMBER THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR LAWMAKERS AND GOVERNOR.
If this kind of attitude dosen't stop this state will implode, because we are
HUMAN BEINGS< YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY OUR ABILITY TO EARN A LIVING.
REMEMBER THE LAST CIVIL WAR WAS STARTED BECAUSE OF OPPRESSION AGAINST ITS PEOPLE.
GOVERNOR KITZHABER,PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAT YOUR PRESIOUS SALMON.
STOP DUMPING OUR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS INTO A SALMON AND GIVE PEOPLE THAT
HAVE BEEN INJURED BACK OUR RIGHT OF DUE PROCESS. IF YOU ARE SO WORRIED ABOUT YOU
DAMN SALMON, TAKE SOME OF THE MONEY OUT OF SAIF'S BILLIONS.

We can't keep this up anymore Injured workers-something has to be done Re: Discrimation against injured workers (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 14:16:15 02/25/2000

How many more lives is the State of Oregon going to ruin before someone in
Salem actually does something. My God! How many more tragic stories like this
have to be said for the light to come back on.
As citizens when are we going to take back our state and make life worth living again.
When are these attitudes GOING TO STOP. That School district had no right
to tell another employer about her job related claim. This is Illegal.
But with the limited resourses that Injured workers have how can see prove this.
That is what these insurance companies are going on. It is very simple you lawmakers
in salem, If someone is injured at work and is denied their RIGHT TO COMPENSATION.
where are they going to get the money to fight for their rights!
FIGURE IT OUT. REMEMBER THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR LAWMAKERS AND GOVERNOR.
If this kind of attitude dosen't stop this state will implode, because we are
HUMAN BEINGS< YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY OUR ABILITY TO EARN A LIVING.
REMEMBER THE LAST CIVIL WAR WAS STARTED BECAUSE OF OPPRESSION AGAINST ITS PEOPLE.
GOVERNOR KITZHABER,PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAT YOUR PRESIOUS SALMON.
STOP DUMPING OUR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS INTO A SALMON AND GIVE PEOPLE THAT
HAVE BEEN INJURED BACK OUR RIGHT OF DUE PROCESS. IF YOU ARE SO WORRIED ABOUT YOU
DAMN SALMON, TAKE SOME OF THE MONEY OUT OF SAIF'S BILLIONS.

Mr Governor, you are always saying how beautiful the state of Oregon is.
Injured workers can't eat the scenery, neither can their families.
You have allowed the lawmakers to committ Democratic genocide
against the citizens of this beautiful state. You are also forgeting something
Mr Kitzhaber, when a citizen can earn a living, because of an Injury or because
an employer gets rid of they for no reason, that citizen can't pay TAXES
and ends up on welfare, thereby costing the state. My 9 year old can figure
this one out, WHY CAN"T YOU.

Amber Hatt Re: Discrimation against injured workers (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:10:05 01/11/2001

I am 10 and I don't think this is right we should stop all this nonsence I think it's wrong. If you read this please E-mail me today my E-mail is lmhatt@msn.com because I'm doing a speech about this.

Thank you,

Amber Hatt

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]