treatment after being put on light duty by workmans comp

Author Subject: treatment after being put on light duty by workmans comp
Cari Schwartzman Posted At 07:30:51 04/05/2001
Last fall I had carpaltunnel surgery. After the so-called healing period, workmans comp tried closing my case, giving me no disability at all. I live with pain, I have weakness in both wrists and hands. I am unable to operate a floor jack with my right hand. I also have motor and sensory damage to my right hand. After going back to the doctor, workman's comp did not want me retesting to find out if I still have damage to my hand. They decided to put me back on light duty, no lifting over ten pounds, no pushing or pulling, in short, anything that aggrevates the pain in my hands I am to avoid. The person in charge of this stuff at work, made me go out to do line work, after halfanhour, I went to him and told him I can't do that kind of repititios work as it hurts my hands. He said he talked to my doctors nurse and she said there is no reason I can't do line work. I had to point it out on my medical form where it states ANY activity that aggrivates the pain is to be avoided. Monday comes, and again he sent me out to the line. This time I stood in the same spot for an hour and a half pushing patties. Another thing I am not to do. After telling my supervisor I informed to just stand there and watch the patties go by. I had to go talk to the operations manager about this. Needless to say he wasn't happy about this persons willingness to compromise the line like that. Since being on workman's comp, I have been questioned by employees about everything I do. I hear the same questions day after day, "Doesn't that bother your hands?" Well, of course it does, but I can't just sit on my butt and do nothing! The types of things they are now having me do, I can do slowly, resting my hands often and doing my exersises that the occupational therapist wants me to do. I go to occupational therapy 3 times a week for four weeks to see if we can get the strength back. I have been told that this may help alleviate some of my pain, but more than likely I will be living with if the rest of my life. Its bad enough to be on light duty, but when people treat you like your lazy because of this, it makes going to work twice as hard.
Just Me Re: treatment after being put on light duty by workmans comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:50:27 04/08/2001

I understand where your coming from. I am having the same problems. The doctor told me to find another job. I am the sole supporter of my family, so I need the benefits that I have at this job. On friday I go to see another doctor. I am on work restriction of 4 hours a day, and comp has not sent me a check to make up the difference. I wish that some of the comp people could endure the pain that I go throught just to get throught the 4 hours of work. My supervisor complained about me not lifting the parts at work and I told him I would be happy for him to trade me arms. Because I would love to be back to normal. I wish you the best of luck!!
And keep of fighting. I know its hard, but I keep thinking that maybe one day people will wake up and smell the coffee!!!!
Injured Workers' Information Centre Re: treatment after being put on light duty by workmans comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:05:01 04/11/2001

We've got this e-mail:

Your help is needed,
Please go to www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/petition-sign.cgi?XWCN
Sign the petition,bring it to the attention of every injured worker you know,PLEASE DO IT NOW.
YOU WILL FIND ME THERE>
Sharon McElroy

If you are interested in, please respond and send this message forward to whom it may concern.

Welcome to our site at http://members.home.net/injuredworkers
You have got to be kidding Re: treatment after being put on light duty by workmans comp (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 02:47:55 04/24/2001

You can't use your hands but you sit and typed this long complaint? Who the heck do you think you are fooling. Quit your complaining and get back to work. You will be amazed at how fast life will turn around when you quit focusing on your "pain".

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]