Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, Measure 81

Author Subject: Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, Measure 81
Webmaster Posted At 19:00:32 04/18/2000
SALEM, April 18, 2000
Plaintiffs' lawyers and other opponents of a May
ballot measure to let the Legislature limit jury awards have
raised nearly twice as much campaign cash as the
medical, insurance and business groups that support it.

The Trust Juries Not Politicians
Coalition, which opposes Measure 81, brought in $1.3
million, mostly from attorneys in Oregon and beyond, according to campaign
finance reports filed Monday.

The measure's backers(Associated Oregon Industries), (Saif Corp) raised $700,000 despite declaring
on two weeks ago that they hoped to collect $3.4 million for the campaign.

The lopsided Measure 81 numbers were among a handful of
disclosures in campaign reports filed Monday at the state
Elections Division. The reports provide the first glimpse of
the 2000 election cycle into the money behind state
political races.
Del Re: Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, Measure 81 (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 21:15:44 04/20/2000

The Oregon Ballot arguments against Measure 81 are now in the WI FTP File Library here.
Del Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, No on Measure 81 (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:07:11 04/28/2000

The Trust Juries Not Politicians Coalition Web site is here.

They are planning to have a last-chance, get-out-the-vote rally at noon on Monday, May 15. They have asked injured workers to show up to help make signs, etc.

For info call them at (503)232-9586
Del Re: Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, Measure 81 (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:11:07 05/17/2000

A victory for average Oregonians

Constitutional Amendment 81 has been defeated by about a 3 to 1 ratio. Don't be surprised if Republican Legislators, probably Gene Derfler since Kevin Mannix will not be in the next Oregon Legislature, propose something similar next session. This branch of government, which is SUPPOSED to represent the average citizen, has a history of ignoring the wishes of Oregon voters.

Dozens decry move to limit jury awards
Some doctors back Measure 81, saying it would help to contain insurance costs

Tuesday, May 16, 2000

By Steven Du Bois of The Associated Press

Elections

Follow the candidates and issues in this year's elections.
Shouting "Don't delay, vote no on Measure 81 right away," about three dozen advocates rallied in a downtown Portland park Monday, urging last-minute voters to defeat a measure that would limit the amount of money juries can award in personal injury lawsuits.

Measure 81, a proposed constitutional amendment, is one of the most contentious measures on today's state primary ballot. If the measure passes, it would allow the Legislature to limit the amount juries can award victims in personal injury lawsuits.

Some doctors say restrictions on jury awards are needed to hold down the costs of malpractice insurance for doctors and of insurance coverage for Oregonians.

But opponents say legislators should not be allowed to decide limits on personal injury awards.

"Our rights are being chipped away little by little, and I think it's time to say, 'No way on Measure 81,' " said Nancy Padilla, president of the Oregon Public Employees Union.

Consumer advocates, politicians, paralegals and wheelchair-bound accident victims who carried anti-Measure 81 signs also attended the rally at Chapman Square.

Polls show that most Oregonians agree with organizers of the rally, a coalition called Trust Juries, Not Politicians.

Proponents of the measure, which was put on the ballot by the 1999 Legislature, concede they might lose.

"I've said all along this would be a difficult issue to pass. It's emotional and complex," said Scott Gallant, director of government affairs for the Oregon Medical Association, which supports the measure.
J Roberts Re: Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, Measure 81 (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:29:36 05/19/2001

Dear Webmaster;
J Roberts Re: Trust Juries not Politicians Coalition, Measure 81 (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:41:25 05/19/2001

Dear Webmaster;

I am sorry that I have been away so long. Another relapse I suppose.
It is now 2001 and the U.S. Supreme Court has still not contacted me about my case, nor did I expect them to.

I realize now that each state will have to combine their injured workers in "a united voice" and each of us will have to stand and be counted before the Constitutional Issues revolving around an injured worker are taken seriously.

There is an attorney in Florida, who has taken an outspoken and active role in representing the Injured Workers and their need for redress; which is where I am going, again.

Thank you for keeping this problem in the spotlight...

Sincerely...

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]