need work-comp info for MI ~ can anyone help here?

Author Subject: need work-comp info for MI ~ can anyone help here?
Ann Posted At 09:08:03 05/31/2000
Is there a statute of limitations on receiving compensation for medical costs in workmans compensation? When I was injured last March, they were having a difficult time figuring out exactly what was causing the pain. They were going to try a procedure and then found out that I was pregnant and were unable to continue. However, the pain never went away and because of this I am almost completely unable to use my right arm because of this serious wrist injury. What is the best way to go about dealing with this? I dont want, and am not asking for, any wage compensation. I dont care about that. All I want is to have this fixed so I can actually work! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you -- Ann
BobK Re: need work-comp info for MI ~ can anyone help here? (Currently 1 replies)
Posted At 22:34:42 06/01/2000

The wc law provides both disability benefits (for lost wages) and medical benefits,
as well as voc rehab and other benefits. You are entitled to all of these.
There is no reason not to accept the disability benefits. MI has a pretty
decent wc law, compared to most states. That's the good news.

The bad news is that RSIs (repetitive stress injuries) like yours are
serious and often very difficult to treat effectively. Surgeons see you
as a customer and of course advise surgery. But surgeries for such injuries
often create new and more disabling conditions than the original injury.
Check this site for info on alternative treatments:

About time limits, in MI you are to notify your employer of injury within 90 days.
Sounds like you did that. You have up to 2 years from date of injury to
file a claim. Your employer SHOULD have already done that for you. Many
fail to do so, however. Call your MI wc agency and see if they have a file
on your injury. You have to take control of your claim. You can't rely
on your employer, the state, or anyone else but yourself.

MI wc info should be available online. Check, and choose "state resources,"
Michigan, and search for "workers' compensation," or choose "cases and codes" to
read the actual wc statute.

Best wishes.
casey NEED HELP WITH A MI CLAIM (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:14:56 08/30/2000

I was a State of MI employee until another employee injured me. Now following two shoulder surgeries and 1 back surgery (with another waiting to be scheduled), my WC carrier wants to redeem my case. I moved out of the State of MI and don't want to hire a lawyer, but I don't know what is a fair settlement... PLEASE HELP. Thank you.

Post Reply:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]