Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office

Author Subject: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office
Ashamed Posted At 11:51:19 08/10/2000
I am an injured worker...I have been through this crazy, cracked up system!!
I am appauled at what I have recently found out about a particular company right here in Oregon...
This paticular company tells it's employees, when they are injured, and I quote "If you are not bleeding to death or have not lost a limb or are not dying...Do not put the bill in the W/C companies name...Have the bill sent to this office and they will be taken care of". Unquote!
Doesn't that just about burn your beans?????
Those bastards accuse us of FRAUD!!!!! Where do those insurance companies and the employers get off????
Webmaster Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:04:10 08/10/2000

This is a blantant violation of the employess right to see a doctor after an on
the job injury, plus it is against the law.
If you could e-mail me the name of the company I will research this and add
it to our Page of Shame Page.

Webmaster
Ashamed Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 1 replies)
Posted At 08:56:09 08/11/2000

The employer says it is o.k. to see the doctor...Just not o.k. to bill the insurance company....The main office wants to pay the bills themselves in order to keep their premiums down...
Dallas Worker Bee Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 23:16:17 08/17/2000

Are you saying that they prefer to pay minor claims out of pocket, rather than file?

I've worked for companies that did that. I fail to sse the harm, as long as they pay, and are not avoiding some kind of reporting system.

Is this truly illegal?
Ashamed Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:01:22 08/18/2000

Yes, that is what I am saying....
Yes, this is truly Illegal...
All on the job injuries are to be filed with the W/C insurance company and the employers....
They are trying to avoid a reporting system...This falls into the "keeping the preimums down" bracket....
BobK Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 23:17:02 08/25/2000

Ashamed has got it right: this employer wants to keep
it's insurance premiums low.

But, Dallas Worker Bee, I'll tell you what the real harm is to injured workers.
When a work-related injury occurs, and the injury is treated medically,
paid for out-of-pocket or via health insurance, and NO WORKERS'
COMP CLAIM IS FILED; then, in the future, if the injury or illness gets
worse and the worker can no longer work, and the worker tries to
apply for wc disability benefits the wc insurance company simply says
"What injury? You never reported any work-related injury. You missed
the deadline to notify us of an injury. You are trying to defraud us.
You are commiting insurance fraud, and we are reporting you to the
District Attorney for criminal prosecution."

Think that can't happen? Read the LA Times article referenced below.
Joe Diglio Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 10:38:16 09/06/2000

Maybe I can be of assistance with your question regarding not be able to file a workers' compensation claim.
Joe Diglio Re: Employers telling Employees to send medical bills to office (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 14:37:35 09/06/2000

If there are situations where injured workers wish to complain regarding any of the above circumstances, they can contact the Workers' Compensation Division, Investigative Unit. We have a toll free number, 1-800-4220-8778 or in Salem (503) 947-7842.

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]