Timeframe between actual injury and filing a WC claim?

Author Subject: Timeframe between actual injury and filing a WC claim?
SCM Posted At 17:01:07 07/13/2000
In Sept. of '99, I slipped and fell on my tailbone. It was very jarring, but I was able to get up and continue work. While it was very tender (to sit) for about 5-6 weeks, I did not have any other symptoms.

Approximately 4 months later, my right leg began getting numb while standing. This condition grew gradually worse, but I still managed to work during this time. Also during this time, my left leg started showing the same symptoms. Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I had x-rays taken last week (due to another recent OTJ injury to my back) and it was found that I have three collapsed vertebrae (L1,2&3) - which they tell me is the reason for my leg(s) numbness and weakness (which has been, and is now occuring at night while sleeping).

The question is: Will WC accept this claim?
I did fill out an accident report (at my work) the same day the injury occured, but that's all that I've done to this point.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Chris Re: Timeframe between actual injury and filing a WC claim? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 03:02:36 07/14/2000

SCM,
Hopefully your report was filed. If your injury was in Oregon, your best bet is to call the Ombudsman for Injured Workers. Call 1-800-927-1271 right away. If it was in another state call that state's Ombudsman. Start keeping detailed notes of everything you do and talk to from now on. Also sit down and write down everything that's happened since the day of your injury and since. You'll need it.
SCM Re: Timeframe between actual injury and filing a WC claim? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:59:17 07/14/2000

Thanks Chris.

I'm not sure what you mean by "filed." My supervisor and I filled out the accident report together, which he keeps on file in his office. What happened with that report from that point on, I don't know, but I'm going to find out. Fortunately, my boss is a good guy - very supportive, etc...
which is more than I can say for our W/C insurer. It'll be 4 weeks this Tuesday since I was hurt (thoracic strain, not the collapsed vertebrae)
and still no check. My insurer's rep was dumbfounded when I finally did get past her voicemail and actually talked to her.

Anyhow, looks like I need to find a good lawyer and call the Ombudsman on Monday.

Thanks again for the advice!

Post Reply:
Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:

This message board has been closed in regard to posting new messages and follow-ups although pages can be viewed. Page loading time had become excessive. Please use the "Message Forum" link from our Main Page here to contribute to our new and improved forum.

[ To the IW Forum | Forum FAQ ]